Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Time Travelling

Some weeks back I decided to head down to South Bombay (SOBO) to shoot some street photography and in the process try out some new/old equipment. And by that I mean the Olympus IS-10 film camera which was new to me and old to my uncle who gave it to me. 

In a nutshell, its a pretty crappy camera. I don't know what Olympus was trying to do with this bridge, 35 mm full frame camera with limited functionality but I, sure as hell, am not going to use it again. Its plain frustrating to use and the noisy sound that the AF makes while operating made me flinch every time I tried to focus. It was also my first time testing the Lomography 100 film. Most of the shots came out overexposed and I could only save a few after some post processing. 

While shooting there, I re-shot a couple of images of the Taj Hotel in a similar way as I had done a couple of years ago on a different SOBO street shoot. Back then I had used the digital Sony A-200 and was a funky post-processing junkie as is clearly evident from the comparison below (The sepia jpeg is the only version that I haven't deleted from my photo archives).





The images on the left are digital while the ones on the right are film. Despite the completely different shooting  experiences between then and now, I still prefer the film photos over their digital counterparts. After all, there ain't no school like the old school!

No comments:

Post a Comment